1. Abdalati H. Islam in Focus, Riyadh, International Islamic Publishing House. 1999; 202pp.
2. Al-Baqarah (The Cow). The Holy Qur’an, English translation of the meanings and Commentary. The Presidency of Islamic Researches, IFTA, Call and Guidance. Al-Madinah Al-Munawarah: Kingdom of Saudi Arabia: King Fahd Holy Qur’an Printing Complex; 1990: 183–7.
3. Al-Bukhari MI. The Translation of the Meanings of Sahih Al-Bukhari, Arabic- English. (English and Arabic Edition) (Arabic) 1st Edition. Dar Us Salam Publishers and Distributors: Riyadh; 2008. 11416.
4. Al-Asqalani AH. Bulugh al-maram: Attainment of the objective according to evidence of the ordinances with Brief Notes from the Book Subul-us-Salam. Darus –Salam Publication: Riyadh; 1996. 588pp.
5. Azeez AO. The Practice and Impact of Da’wah (Proselytisation) on The Moral Development of Muslims in Osun State, Ph.D Thesis Department of Religious Studies, Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye, Nigeria. 2014. 214pp.
6. Lemu SA. A book of fasting, Islamic Education Trust, Minna, Nigeria. 1992. 127pp.
7. Shadman Z, Akhoundan M, Khoshniat Nikoo M. A review of Ramadan fasting and diabetes mellitus: Controversies regarding the effects of Ramadan fasting on diabetic patients. J Fasting Health. 2014; 2(3): 119–30.
8. Khan N. Pakistan International Biennial Conference on “Ramadan and Health”. J Fast Health. 2015; 3(4): 138–9.
9. Khan NN.2nd Pakistan international Biennial Conference on “Ramadan and Health”. J Fast Health. 2017; 5(3): 99–100.
10. Khan N. 3rd Pakistan International Biennial Conference on “Ramadan and Health”. J Nutr Fast Health. 2019; 7(3): 168–9.
11. Ramadan J. Does fasting during Ramadan alter body composition, blood constituents and physical performance? Med Princ Pract. 2002; 11(Suppl 2): 41–6.
12. Roky R, Houti I, Moussamih S, Qotbi S, Aadil N. Physiological and chronological changes during Ramadan intermittent fasting. Ann Nutr Metab. 2004; 48(4): 296–303.
13. Ajibola A. Nutritional status and response of animals to water deprivation in the semi-arid regions of tropical Africa. J Res Bioscience. 2006; 2(2): 1-4.
14. Ajibola A. Nitrogen retention and water balance in animals fed medium protein diet amidst limited water supply. Afr J Biomed Res.2006; 9(3): 225-9.
15. Ajibola A. Fasting during Ramadan does not alter haematology and anthropometry of healthy young men. Pak J Pathol. 2007; 18(2): 60–3.
16. Ajibola A, Boomker EA. Effect of water deprivation on feed intake, nutrient digestibility and nitrogen balance in domestic animals. Nigerian J Nutr Sci. 2007; 28(1): 36–41.
17. Ajibola A, Alabi MA, Osonuga I, Dauda TO, Osonuga OA. Chronic dietary restrictions changed the lipid profile of healthy young men. Int J Biochem. 2009; 1(1): 6–9.
18. Ajibola A, Boomker EA, van der Walt JG. Water metabolism and nutrition in animals exposed to water scarcity and hot environment. Afr J Biomed Res. 2009; 12(2): 121–4.
19. Ajibola A, Dauda TO, Boomker EA. Digestive implication of limited water supply to animals nurtured under a cafeteria-style management. Int J Bioscience. 2010; 5(3): 31–5.
20. Burge MR, Garcia N, Qualls CR, Schade DS. Differential effects of fasting and dehydration in the pathogenesis of diabetic ketoacidosis. Metabolism. 2001; 50(2): 171–7.
21. Chamsi-Pasha H, Ahmed WH. The effect of fasting in Ramadan on patients with heart disease. Saudi Med J. 2004; 25(1): 47–51.
22. Al Suwaidi J, Bener A, Suliman A, Hajar R, Salam AM, Numan MT, et al. A population based study of Ramadan fasting and acute coronary syndromes. Heart. 2004; 90(6): 695–6.
23. Al Suwaidi J, Bener A, Hajar AH, Numan MT. Does hospitalization for congestive heart failure occur more frequently in Ramadan: A Population-Based Study (1991-2001). Int J Cardiol. 2004; 96(2): 217–21.
24. Siddiqui QA, Sabir S, Subhan MMF. The effect of Ramadan fasting on spirometry in healthy subjects. Respirology. 2005; 10(4): 525–8.
25. Suwaidi AJ, Bener A, Gehani AA, Behair S, Mohanadi DA, Salam A, et al. Does the circadian pattern for acute cardiac events presentation vary with fasting? J Postgrad Med. 2006; 52(1): 30–3.
26. Ajibola A. Periodic assessment of ESR values, a disease marker in healthy Muslim males while fasting in Ramadan. Pak J Pathol. 2007; 18(3): 91–4.
27. Bener A, Galadari S, Gillett M, Osman N, Al Taneji H, Al-Kuwaiti MHH, et al. Fasting during the holy month of Ramadan does not change the composition of breast milk. Nutrition Research. 2001; 21(6): 859–64.
28. Abdullahi YN. Health benefits of Ramadhan fasting. Zomo Press Limited, Kaduna, Nigeria. 2014; 114pp.
29. Toro-Roman V, Munoz D, Coll JS, Bartolome I, Pérez-Quintero M, Arroyo JM, et al. Effects of a protocol of intermittent fasting on body composition and lipids profile in university students. Arch Latinoam Nutr. 2020; 69(3): 157–64.
30. Barrett KE, Barman SM, Yuan J, Heddwen L. Endocrine Functions of the Pancreas & Regulation of Carbohydrate Metabolism. In: Ganong’s Review of Medical Physiology 26th Edition. New York: Lange Medical Book/McGraw Hill Medical Publishing Division. 2019. pp 431–51.
31. Azizi F. Islamic fasting and health. Ann Nutr Metab. 2010; 56: 273–82.
32. IMA Pamphlet. Fasting: Medical guidelines. J Islamic Med Assoc South Africa. 1992; 9: 19–20.
33. Ismail NAM, Olaide Raji H, Abd Wahab N, Mustafa N, Kamaruddin NA, Abdul Jamil M. Glycemic control among pregnant diabetic women on insulin who fasted during Ramadan. Iran J Med Sci. 2011; 36(4): 254–9.
34. Al-Arouj M, Assaad-Khalil S, Buse J, Fahdil I, Fahmy M, Hafez S, et al. Recommendations for management of diabetes during Ramadan. Diabetes Care. 2010; 33(8): 1895–902.
35. Salti I, Benard E, Detournay B, Bianchi-Biscay M, Le Brigand C, Voinet C, et al. A population based study of diabetes and its characteristics during the fasting month of Ramadan in 13 countries: results of the epidemiology of diabetes and Ramadan 1422/2001 (EPIDIAR) study. Diabetes Care. 2004; 27(10): 2306–11.
36. Akhan G, Kutluhan S, Koyuncuoglu HR. Is there any change of stroke incidence during Ramadan? Acta Neurol Scand. 2000; 101(4): 259–61.
37. Bener A, Hamad A, Fares A, Al‐Sayed HM, Al‐Suwaidi J. Is there any effect of Ramadan fasting on stroke incidence? Singapore Med J. 2006; 47(5): 404–8.
38. Yahya al-Laythi Y. AL-MUWATTA Imam Malik Translated by A’isha Abdarahman at-Tarjumana & Yaqub Johnson published by The Islamic Cultural Centre, 146, Park Road London NW8 7RG Great Britain. 1982. pp. 139–56.
39. Abdelhamid A. Environmental and spiritual benefits of Ramadan fasting. EcoIslam, Environment, Health. 2019.
40. Van Schaftingen E. Glycolysis revisited. Diabetologia. 1993; 36(7): 581–8.
41. Jimenez Jaime T, Leiva Balich L, Barrera Acevedo G, Maza Cave MP, Hirsch Birn S, Henríquez Parada S, et al. Effect of calorie restriction on energy expenditure in overweight and obese adult women. Nutr Hosp. 2015; 31(6): 2428–36.
42. Shadman Zh, Poorsoltan N, Akhoundan M, Larijani B, Akhgar Zhand C, Soleymanzadeh M, Seyed Rohani ZA, et al. Misconceptions and negative attitudes towards the metabolic effects of Ramadan fasting, resulting in fasting avoidance. J Fasting Health. 2014; 2(4): 151–7.
43. Attarzadeh Hosseini SR, Motahari Rad M, Hejazi K. The effects of Ramadan fasting and physical activity on body composition and hematological- biochemical parameters. J Fasting Health. 2014; 2(3): 96–103.
44. Andresdottir MB, Sigfusson N, Sigvaldason H, Gudnason V. Erythrocyte sedimentation rate, an independent predictor of coronary heart disease in men and women: The Reykjavik Study. Am J Epidemiol. 2003; 158(9): 844–51.
45. Elmehdawi R, Ehmida M, Elmagrehi H. Incidence of diabetic ketoacidosis during Ramadan fasting in Benghazi-Libya. Oman Med J. 2009; 24(2): 99–102.
46. Rothschild J, Hoddy KK, Jambazian P, Varady KA. Time-restricted feeding and risk of metabolic disease: a review of human and animal studies. Nutr Rev. 2014; 72(5): 308–18.
47. Salehi A, Memarzadeh S, Akhlaghi M, Rismanchian A, Jafari A. Effect of Ramadan fasting on physiological myopia. Journal of Shahrekord University of Medical Sciences. 2008; 10(2): 81–7. (Persian)
48. Nakamura S, Hisamura R, Shimoda S, Shibuya I, Tsubota K. Fasting mitigates immediate hypersensitivity: a pivotal role of endogenous D-beta-hydroxybutyrate. Nutr Metab. 2014; 11: 40
49. Rahmani M, Zarei M. The effect of holy fasting month of Ramadan on the delayed type hypersensitivity response to purified derivative. Scientific Journal of Hamadan University of Medical Sciences. 2003; 10(1): 52–6. (Persian)
50. Shirreffs SM, Maughan RJ. Water and salt balance in young male football players in training during the holy month of Ramadan. J Sports Sci. 2008; 26 Suppl 3: S47–54.
51. Chaouachi A, Coutts AJ, Chamari K, Wong DP, Chaouachi M, Chtara M, et al. Effect of Ramadan intermittent fasting on aerobic and anaerobic performance and perception of fatigue in male elite judo athletes. J Strength Cond Res. 2009; 23(9): 2702–9.
52. Sawka MN, Noakes TD. Does dehydration impair exercise performance? Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2007; 39(8): 1209–17.
53. Fall A, Sarr M, Mandengue SH, Badji L, Samb A, Gueye L, et al. Effects of prolonged water and food restriction (Ramadan) on performance and cardiovascular responses during incremental exercise in tropical climate. Sci Sports. 2007; 22: 50–3.
54. Ramadan J, Telahoun G, Al-Zaid NS, Barac-Nieto M. Responses to exercise, fluid, and energy balances during Ramadan in sedentary and active males. Nutrition.1999; 15(10): 735–9.
55. Bouhlel E, Salhi Z, Bouhlel H, Mdella S, Amamou A, Zaouali M, et al. Effect of Ramadan fasting on fuel oxidation during exercise in trained male rugby players. Diabetes Metab. 2006; 32(6): 617–24.
56. Meckel Y, Ismaeel A, Eliakim A. The effect of the Ramadan fast on physical performance and dietary habits in adolescent soccer players. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2008; 102(6): 651–7.
57. Chennaoui M, Desgorces F, Drogou C, Boudjemaa B, Tomaszewski A, Depiesse F, et al. Effects of Ramadan fasting on physical performance and metabolic, hormonal, and inflammatory parameters in middle-distance runners. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2009; 34(4): 587–94.
58. Prentice AM, Lamb WH, Prentice A, Coward WA. The effect of water abstention on milk synthesis in lactating women. Clin Sci (Lond). 1984; 66(3): 291–8.
59. Furuncuoglu Y, Karaca E, Aras S, Yönem A. Metabolic, biochemical and psychiatric alterations in healthy subjects during Ramadan. Pak J Nutr. 2007; 6(3): 209–11.
60. Cheah SH, Ch’ng SL, Husain R, Duncan MT. Effects of fasting during Ramadan on urinary excretion in Malaysian Muslims. Br J Nutr. 1990; 63(2): 329–37.
61. Leiper JB, Prastowo SM. Effect of fasting during Ramadan on water turnover in men living in the tropics. J Physiol. 2000; 528P: 43. (Abstract)
62. El-Sharkawy AM, Sahota O, Maughan RJ, Lobo, DN. The pathophysiology of fluid and electrolyte balance in the older adult surgical patient. Clin Nutr. 2014; 33(1): 6–13.
63. Yau JWY, Lee P, Wong TY, Best J, Jenkins A. Retinal vein occlusion: an approach to diagnosis, systemic risk factors and management. Intern Med J. 2008; 38(12): 904–10.
64. Alghadyan AA. Retinal vein occlusion in Saudi Arabia: possible role of dehydration. Ann Ophthalmol. 1993; 25(10): 394–8.
65. Babineaux SM, Toaima D, Boye KS, Zagar A, Tahbaz A, Jabbar A, et al. Multi-country retrospective observational study of the management and outcomes of patients with type-2 diabetes during Ramadan in 2010 (CREED). Diabetic Medicine. 2015; 32(6): 819–28.
66. Hirshkowitz M, Whiton K, Albert SM, Alessi C, Bruni O, DonCarlos L, et al. National Sleep Foundation’s sleep time duration recommendations: methodology and results summary. Sleep Health. 2015; 1(1): 40–3.
67. Souissi N, Souissi H, Sahli S, Tabka Z, Dogui M, Ati J, et al. Effect of Ramadan on the diurnal variation in shortterm high power output. Chronobiol Int. 2007; 24(5): 991–1007.
68. Antelmi E, Vinai P, Pizza F, Marcatelli M, Speciale M, Provini F. Nocturnal eating is part of the clinical spectrum of restless legs syndrome and an underestimated risk factor for increased body mass index. Sleep Med. 2014; 15(2): 168–72.
69. Yamaguchi M, Uemura H, Katsuura-Kamano S, Nakamoto M, Hiyoshi M, Takami H, et al. Relationship of dietary factors and habits with sleep-wake regularity. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2013; 22(3): 457–65.
70. Bass J, Takahashi JS. Circadian integration of metabolism and energetics. Science. 2010; 330(6009): 1349–54.
71. Brigden ML. Clinical utility of erythrocyte sedimentation rate. Am Fam Physician. 1999; 60(5): 1443–50.
72. Saadeh C. The erythrocyte sedimentation rate: old and new clinical applications. Saudi Med J. 1998; 91(3): 220–5.
73. Zerguini Y, Dvorak J, Maughan RJ, Leiper JB, Bartagi Z, Kirkendall DT, et al. Influence of Ramadan fasting on physiological and performance variables in football players: Summary of the F-MARC 2006 Ramadan fasting study. J Sports Sci. 2008; 26(Suppl 3): S3–6.
74. Marbut MM, Al-Najjar HASM, Abdulrahman MA. Effect of Ramadan fasting on some physiological parameters. Med J Tikrit. 2005; 2(112): 6–8.
75. Geddes L. Fasting could extend female fertility. New Scientist Daily News. 2009.
76. Angelo G, Van Gilst MR. Starvation protects germline stem cells and extends reproductive longevity in C. elegans. Science. 2009; 326(5955): 954–8.
77. Selesniemi K, Lee HJ, Tilly JL. Moderate caloric restriction in rodents during adulthood sustains function of the female reproductive axis into advanced chronological age. Aging Cell. 2008; 7(5): 622–9.
78. Miratashi SAM, Shoja MR. Effect of Ramadan fasting on physiological myopia. The Journal of Qazvin University of Medical Sciences. 2000; 15: 26–33.
79. Ramadan JM, Barac‐Nieto M. Cardio‐respiratory responses to moderately heavy aerobic exercise during the Ramadan fasts. Saudi Med J. 2000; 21(3): 238–44.
80.Basiri A, Moghaddam SMMH, Khoddam R, Nejad ST, Hakimi A. Monthly variations of urinary stone colic in Iran and its relationship to the fasting month of Ramadan. J Pak Med Assoc. 2004; 54(1): 6–8.
81. Chennaoui M, Desgorces F, Drogou C, Boudjemaa B, Tomaszewski A, Depiesse F, et al. Effects of Ramadan fasting on physical performance and metabolic, hormonal, and inflammatory parameters in middle-distance runners. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2009; 34(4): 587–94.
82. Ajibola AA. Effect of nutritional status on cognitive performance among Demonstration Secondary School students, Ahmadu Bello University, Samaru, Zaria, B.Sc Dissertation Department of Human Physiology, Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, College of Medical Sciences, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria. 2019. 49pp.
83. Abu Kishk N, Shahin Y, Mitri J, Turki Y, Zidan W, Seita A. Model to improve cardiometabolic risk factors in Palestine refugees with diabetes mellitus attending UNRWA health centers. BMJ Open Diabetes Res Care. 2019; 7(1): e000624.