1. Abdel Moneim AE. Evaluating the Potential Role of Pomegranate Peel in Aluminum-Induced Oxidative Stress and Histopathological Alterations in Brain of Female Rats. Biological Trace Element Research. 2012;150(1):328-36.
2. Hashimoto E, Taniai M, Tokushige K. Characteristics and diagnosis of NAFLD/NASH. Journal of gastroenterology and hepatology. 2013;28:64-70.
3. Anderson EL, Howe LD, Jones HE, Higgins JP, Lawlor DA, Fraser A. The prevalence of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in children and adolescents: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PloS one. 2015;10(10):e0140908.
4. Younossi ZM, Koenig AB, Abdelatif D, Fazel Y, Henry L, Wymer M. Global epidemiology of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease—meta‐analytic assessment of prevalence, incidence, and outcomes. Hepatology. 2016;64(1):73-84.
5. Shea S, Lionis C, Kite C, Atkinson L, Chaggar SS, Randeva HS, et al. Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD) and Potential Links to Depression, Anxiety, and Chronic Stress. Biomedicines. 2021;9(11):1697.
6. Labenz C, Huber Y, Michel M, Nagel M, Galle PR, Kostev K, et al. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease increases the risk of anxiety and depression. Hepatology Communications. 2020;4(9):1293-301.
7. Assimakopoulos K, Karaivazoglou K, Tsermpini E-E, Diamantopoulou G, Triantos C. Quality of life in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: A systematic review. Journal of Psychosomatic Research. 2018;112:73-80.
8. Akhtar S, Ismail T, Fraternale D, Sestili P. Pomegranate peel and peel extracts: chemistry and food features. Food chemistry. 2015;174:417-25.
9. Grabez M, Skrbic R, Stojiljkovic M, Rudic Grujic V, Paunovic M, Arsic A, et al. Beneficial effects of pomegranate peel extract on plasma lipid profile, fatty acids levels and blood pressure in patients with diabetes mellitus type-2: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Journal of Functional Foods. 2019;64:103692.
10. Wei X-l, Fang R-t, Yang Y-h, Bi X-y, Ren G-x, Luo Al, et al. Protective effects of extracts from Pomegranate peels and seeds on liver fibrosis induced by carbon tetrachloride in rats. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2015;15(1):389.
11. Ekambaram SP, Perumal SS, Balakrishnan A. Scope of hydrolysable tannins as possible antimicrobial agent. Phytotherapy Research. 2016;30(7):1035-45.
12. Heber D. Pomegranate ellagitannins. 2012.
13. Johanningsmeier SD, Harris GK. Pomegranate as a functional food and nutraceutical source. Annual review of food science and technology. 2011;2:181-201.
14. Song H, Shen X, Deng R, Chu Q, Zheng X. Pomegranate peel anthocyanins prevent diet-induced obesity and insulin resistance in association with modulation of the gut microbiota in mice. European Journal of Nutrition. 2022;61(4):1837-47.
15. Zhao R, Long X, Yang J, Du L, Zhang X, Li J, et al. Pomegranate peel polyphenols reduce chronic low-grade inflammatory responses by modulating gut microbiota and decreasing colonic tissue damage in rats fed a high-fat diet. Food & function. 2019;10(12):8273-85.
16. Aleksandrova S, Alexova R, Dragomanova S, Kalfin R, Nicoletti F, Fagone P, et al. Preventive and Therapeutic Effects of Punica granatum L. Polyphenols in Neurological Conditions. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2023;24(3):1856.
17. Estrada-Camarena E, López-Rubalcava C, Valdés-Sustaita B, Azpilcueta-Morales GS, González-Trujano EM. Use of phytoestrogens for the treatment of psychiatric symptoms associated with menopause transition. A Multidisciplinary Look at Menopause; Rodríguez-Landa, JF, Cueto-Escobedo, J, Eds. 2017:81-109.
18. Alfei S, Turrini F, Catena S, Zunin P, Grilli M, Pittaluga AM, et al. Ellagic acid a multi-target bioactive compound for drug discovery in CNS? A narrative review. European journal of medicinal chemistry. 2019;183:111724.
19. Soleimani D, Rezaie M, Rajabzadeh F, Gholizadeh Navashenaq J, Abbaspour M, Miryan M, et al. Protective effects of propolis on hepatic steatosis and fibrosis among patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) evaluated by real-time two-dimensional shear wave elastography: A randomized clinical trial. Phytotherapy research : PTR. 2021;35(3):1669-79.
20. Wei X, Li S, Li T, Liu L, Liu Y, Wang H, et al. Pomegranate peel extract ameliorates liver fibrosis induced by carbon tetrachloride in rats through suppressing p38MAPK/Nrf2 pathway. Journal of Functional Foods. 2020;65:103712.
21. Wei XL, Fang RT, Yang YH, Bi XY, Ren GX, Luo AL, et al. Protective effects of extracts from Pomegranate peels and seeds on liver fibrosis induced by carbon tetrachloride in rats. BMC complementary and alternative medicine. 2015;15:389.
22. Nair AB, Jacob S. A simple practice guide for dose conversion between animals and human. Journal of basic and clinical pharmacy. 2016;7(2):27-31.
23. Webb M, Yeshua H, Zelber-Sagi S, Santo E, Brazowski E, Halpern Z, et al. Diagnostic value of a computerized hepatorenal index for sonographic quantification of liver steatosis. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2009;192(4):909-14.
24. Henry JD, Crawford JR. The short‐form version of the Depression Anxiety Stress Scales (DASS‐21): Construct validity and normative data in a large non‐clinical sample. British journal of clinical psychology. 2005;44(2):227-39.
25. Sahebi A, Asghari MJ, Salari RS. Validation of depression anxiety and stress scale (DASS-21) for an Iranian population. 2005.
26. Youssef NA, Abdelmalek MF, Binks M, Guy CD, Omenetti A, Smith AD, et al. Associations of depression, anxiety and antidepressants with histological severity of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Liver International. 2013;33(7):1062-70.
27. Choi JM, Chung GE, Kang SJ, Kwak M-S, Yang JI, Park B, et al. Association between anxiety and depression and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Frontiers in Medicine. 2021;7:585618.
28. Tomeno W, Kawashima K, Yoneda M, Saito S, Ogawa Y, Honda Y, et al. Non‐alcoholic fatty liver disease comorbid with major depressive disorder: the pathological features and poor therapeutic efficacy. Journal of gastroenterology and hepatology. 2015;30(6):1009-14.
29. Han AL. Association between non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and dietary habits, stress, and health-related quality of life in Korean adults. Nutrients. 2020;12(6):1555.
30. Russ TC, Kivimäki M, Morling JR, Starr JM, Stamatakis E, Batty GD. Association between psychological distress and liver disease mortality: a meta-analysis of individual study participants. Gastroenterology. 2015;148(5):958-66. e4.
31. Kyrou I, Randeva HS, Tsigos C, Kaltsas G, Weickert MO. Clinical problems caused by obesity. Endotext [Internet]. 2018.
32. Tsigos C, Kyrou I, Kassi E, Chrousos GP. Stress: endocrine physiology and pathophysiology. Endotext [Internet]. 2020.
33. Khan S, Patel A, Bhise K. Antioxidant activity of pomegranate peel powder. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2017;7(2):81-4.
34. Lv O, Wang L, Li J, Ma Q, Zhao W. Effects of pomegranate peel polyphenols on lipid accumulation and cholesterol metabolic transformation in L-02 human hepatic cells via the PPARγ-ABCA1/CYP7A1 pathway. Food & function. 2016;7(12):4976-83.
35. Maressa Caldeira M, Jocelem Mastrodi S, Adna Prado M, Patricia B, Alessandro de Oliveira R, Severino Matias A, et al. Potential benefits of phenolics from pomegranate pulp and peel in Alzheimer’s disease: antioxidant activity and inhibition of acetylcholinesterase. Journal of Food Bioactives. 2019;5(0).
36. Masarone M, Rosato V, Dallio M, Gravina AG, Aglitti A, Loguercio C, et al. Role of oxidative stress in pathophysiology of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Oxidative medicine and cellular longevity. 2018;2018.
37. Mastrogiovanni F, Mukhopadhya A, Lacetera N, Ryan MT, Romani A, Bernini R, et al. Anti-Inflammatory Effects of Pomegranate Peel Extracts on In Vitro Human Intestinal Caco-2 Cells and Ex Vivo Porcine Colonic Tissue Explants. Nutrients. 2019;11(3).
38. Cholankeril G, Wong RJ, Hu M, Perumpail RB, Yoo ER, Puri P, et al. Liver transplantation for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis in the US: temporal trends and outcomes. Digestive diseases and sciences. 2017;62:2915-22.
39. Wong RJ, Aguilar M, Cheung R, Perumpail RB, Harrison SA, Younossi ZM, et al. Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis is the second leading etiology of liver disease among adults awaiting liver transplantation in the United States. Gastroenterology. 2015;148(3):547-55.
40. Wu Y, Zhu C-p, Zhang Y, Li Y, Sun J-r. Immunomodulatory and antioxidant effects of pomegranate peel polysaccharides on immunosuppressed mice. International journal of biological macromolecules. 2019;137:504-11.
41. Juurinen L, Tiikkainen M, Hakkinen A-M, Hakkarainen A, Yki-Jarvinen H. Effects of insulin therapy on liver fat content and hepatic insulin sensitivity in patients with type 2 diabetes. American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2007;292(3):E829-E35.
42. Khadr AE, Kamel MA, Abbas NH, Ebeid ME, Darwish WS. MicroRNA-33a and MiR-34a as a Molecular Targets for Pomegranate Peel Extract During Treatment of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Rats. Research Journal of Applied Biotechnology. 2019;5(1):67-79.
43. Khalil EA. A hepatoprotective effect of an aqueous extract of pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) rind against acetaminop hen treated rats. The Egyptian Journal of Hospital Medicine. 2004;16(1):112-8.
44. Mastrogiovanni F, Bernini R, Basiricò L, Bernabucci U, Campo M, Romani A, et al. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects of pomegranate peel extracts on bovine mammary epithelial cells BME-UV1. Natural product research. 2020;34(10):1465-9.
45. Matthaiou CM, Goutzourelas N, Stagos D, Sarafoglou E, Jamurtas A, Koulocheri SD, et al. Pomegranate juice consumption increases GSH levels and reduces lipid and protein oxidation in human blood. Food and chemical toxicology. 2014;73:1-6.